Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do you accept insurance?
- Dr. Anegawa is considered an out-of-network physician, meaning that she does not directly accept any insurance and does not bill insurance. This practice structure allows Dr. Anegawa to spend extra time with patients and provide more personalized care, without any corporate interference.
- All fees are paid up front, at the time of visit. Your credit card information plus a $25 registration fee will be taken at the time of appointment booking.
- Dr. Anegawa can provide documentation for you to send to your insurance company after your visit. Reimbursement is then paid directly to you by your insurance company. You may also submit to your FSA or HSA plan for reimbursement.
- Amounts paid to you by your insurance company depends on your plan. Please check with your insurance provider on amounts reimbursed for "out-of-network physician visits" BEFORE your appointment with Dr. Anegawa. Insurance also generally does not cover the cost of the optional Meet & Greet visit.
- Exception to the above: Medicare, which unfortunately does not reimburse for care by physicians who "opt out" of Medicare participation. You may submit to a Medi-gap policy if you have one. Read more HERE. Dr. Anegawa also offers discounts for Medicare patients - CONTACT us to learn more.
- If you'd like to find out more about your particular insurance's policies on Out of Network care, Dr. Anegawa has gathered some links for your reference HERE. Note that while Dr. Anegawa will make every effort to code your service accurately, she does not guarantee that your services will be reimbursed as she does not control insurance company policies.
- Any lab testing or prescription costs are generally covered by your insurance, subject to your plan's rules and limitations.
- What types of eating plans do you recommend?
- Whole-foods based eating plans following a low-carb lifestyle are generally advised. Whether patients prefer keto, low-carb Mediterranean, carnivore, or vegetarian/vegan options, Dr. Anegawa can help customize a plan that fits your preferences.
- Meal replacement options are also available as a quick start and to help reduce the complexity of meal planning as you start out.
- Do I have to exercise?
- Believe it or not, studies show that exercise does not cause significant weight loss, so exercise is not required. However, exercise does support healthy weight maintenance in the long-term and has other wonderful health benefits. For these reasons patients are encouraged to gradually begin a movement program eventually, at one's own pace.
- Should I take weight loss medications?
- FDA-approved weight loss medications can be considered on an individual basis during followup visits, provided that certain requirements are met. Current clinical guidelines support use in patients with BMI > 30 or BMI > 27 plus one weight-related medical disease.
- Medications can sometimes be used 'off label' depending on each patients' particular needs and medical concerns. These are explored as options during the Consultation.
- Are there specific requirements to be a patient?
- Dr. Anegawa can treat patients 18 years of age and older.
- You should have a current primary care physician to manage other chronic conditions you may have. Exception: if you are enrolled in the Low-carb/Keto-friendly Primary Care option with Dr. Anegawa.
- What if I have medical conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, or a heart condition?
- This is one of the key reasons to choose medically supervised care by a board certified specialty physician. If you take medications, attempting to lose weight without supervision carries dangers, including rapid changes in blood sugar and blood pressure.
- Physician expertise can help you lose weight as quickly and safely as possible. Dr. Anegawa can also assist in lowering or even stopping certain medications as weight is lost and test results improve, while communicating closely with your other doctors.
- How do I maintain my weight loss?
- Weight gain is common and natural after weight loss, as our bodies kick in mechanisms to try to get back to our higher weight "set-point." Ongoing eating changes, analysis of changes in body composition, medication adjustments, counseling to assist with mindset changes, and physical activity are all a big part of maintenance - which is why it's important to check in periodically.
- It's also natural and normal to regain some weight over time, so working together helps plan for this.
- What about weight-loss (bariatric) surgery or other procedures like the balloon?
- Dr. Anegawa does not perform procedures of any kind, but can refer you to a weight-loss surgeon if you desire and qualify.
- Dr. Anegawa is also available to assist with weight loss prior to and/or after weight loss surgery.
- I'm a business owner looking for corporate wellness solutions. Is this something you can provide?
- Absolutely! Whether you have 2 employees or 200, we can create a plan for you to optimize your employees' health and lower your costs. Contact us for information.
- I have a different question that's not here!
- Please feel free to call or text (808) 219-0527, or email [email protected]. We'll get your questions answered right away!